Saturday 26 September 2009

lochorodale


The weather today was pleasant and warm especially when the sun managed to break through the clouds, (which it did on a regular basis), the wind was light and with these promising conditions I set off for Lochorodale, a place I have passed countless times but never actually paid a visit to. On the road down I counted 139 Meadow pipits feeding in a field adjacent to Homeston farm, Meadow pipits were in evidence throughout day as groups of birds were moving all the time and seemed to be either visible or audible from what ever point I stopped at. The road to Lochorodale is a good quality forestry road and was lined on both sides with young Sitka spruce that were sporting huge pine cones. At the end of the road I came to a fairly large white house and could see the loch in the background, I met the Danish gentleman who owns the land and he gave me permission to look around when ever I wanted and told me the recent history of the loch. This is hill and forestry habitat along with the loch itself which is fairly small and quite new having only been allowed to reform about 20 years ago after being drained for sometime. The landowner states that the loch is pretty barren as far as birds are concerned with the occasional Mallard and a few Teal in the autumn.There is a substantial corner of the loch at the north end that is heavily reeded mostly with reed mace and bulrush. While I was here the landowners prediction seemed to be correct with only two mallard on the loch, however I did see a stunning male Common Darter and the first in what turned out to be a good day for Dragonflies. Was also amazed at the numbers of Bumblebees that were evident obviously making the most of last warm days of the year.



While heading back to the car I was aware of good numbers of Goldcrest calling from the conifers along with Coal and Great Tit. Chaffinches were also abundant particularly in the vicinity of the grain feeders that were place near the house, for wild pheasant apparently. Several Wrens were also calling and the watery song of the Robin was also heard from many song posts. Robins were also evident all day and obviously some sort of fall had taken place with this species. A pair of Ravens were also croaking overhead and as neared the far side of the loch a stunning male Hen Harrier cut through the low willow scrub in front of me. Also spotted a pair of ringtails about 25 minutes later at the otherside of the water. The landowner had reported a pair breeding this year and raising, he thought 3 chicks. On leaving Lochorodale house itself I headed back up the track then turned off onto another one which led me back on myself and running through the plantation parrallel to but higher up from the loch. Someway down the track I stopped when I noticed a Golden-ringed dragonfly taking flight, getting out to hopefully photograph it I found myself next of a small roadside pool that are common in these plantations. I did not see the golden-ringed again but did find a mature female Common Darter and also 2 Great Diving Beetles these impressive beasts could also be seen on the surface of the pond. Also seen a late but stunning Small Copper butterfly and Red Admiral. Very noisy and visible Grasshoppers were all around the roadsides and many congregating in the spagnum moss. As I was getting ready to leave I became aware of a loud whirring of wings at the pool side and seemingly from nowhere came 8 -12 Common Hawker Dragonflies their flying was manic and appeared to be made up of males being very aggressively territorial with many clashes and dog fights low over the water and the females trying to ovideposit while being harrased by sometimes more than two males. The males sometimes battering the females into the water in their desire to mate. This spectacle continued for over half an hour and they seemed completely oblivious to my presence and at one point I had seven of them on all sides of me at a distance of inches. After a summer of seeing very few it was a fantastic experience.






No comments:

Post a Comment